We are looking for an 8 hour/week writer for PlantAnglican who will both write and coordinate content and post it online through our newsletter.
Here are the details:
To source, create and publish regular content about church planting in different contexts around the Anglican Communion for the PlantAnglican newsletter, to encourage and equip members of the new Anglican Communion Church Planting Network, that launched in November 2020.
1. Write and promote a regular article for Plant Anglican
- Aim for 1 piece per week or 4 pieces per month, including:
- Church planting stories
- Articles about church planting or events/conferences
- Commentary about (or drawing attention to) church planting resources
- Ensure piece is translated into French and Spanish where appropriate (with Google Translate and review by translation team)
- Identify and edit good quality photographs from the source or online to accompany written pieces
- Plan and create social media posts to promote pieces using Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Post piece on the PlantAnglican.org website
2. Assemble a regular newsletter
- Insert pieces into newsletter using Mailchimp email template
- Ensure hyperlinks work
- Issue newsletter, working with Vice-chair of PlantAnglican
3. Identify and develop sources of stories
- Starting with the steering group to hear their stories, identify people to interview, and any church planting activity that would be informative or of interest to the PlantAnglican reader.
- Identify writers in other regions to develop content, eg Paul Siaki in South Africa
- Research websites around the Anglican Communion to identify church planting stories
- Ensure that stories reflect a variety of geography, context, ethnicity, gender and traditions
- Keep a list of stories and articles and identify gaps using an online tracking spreadsheet
4. Meet regularly with the Vice-Chair of PlantAnglican
- To discuss story briefs, updating on progress and planning ahead
- 30-45 min call on Zoom monthly, with greater frequency initially
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent communication skills including written and spoken English.
- Excellent copywriting, copy editing and proof-reading skills
- Familiarity with social media platforms and social media marketing (clear understanding of how different platforms attract different audiences.
- A basic understanding of WordPress for posting content on the PlantAnglican website
- A basic understanding of using Mailchimp for monthly newsletters
You will be able to :
- Multi-task and manage competing priorities efficiently, without direct instruction, to meet deadlines under changing conditions, and exercise initiative
- Be self motivated and resource stories and content
- Keep themselves and others to deadlines
- Happy to work remotely and as part of an online team
- Occasionally meet face-to-face when and where possible
The role is available for an immediate start, ideally January 2021.
Enquiries and/or applications should be addressed to Ric Thorpe, Bishop of Islington at email@example.com. Please send a CV and covering letter outlining how you meet both the job description and person specification.